The first Virtual Webmaster Unconference successfully took place on August 26th and, as promised, we'd like to share the main findings and conclusions here. As communicated before, this event was a pilot, in which we wanted to test a if there was an appetite for a very different type of event, and b whether the community would actively engage in the discussions. To the first question, we were overwhelmed with the interest to participate; it definitely exceeded our expectations and it gives us fuel to try out future iterations.
How did the event go?
What did we learn in the sessions?
Each day, Google usually releases one or more changes designed to improve our search results. Most aren't noticeable but help us incrementally continue to improve. Sometimes, an update may be more noticeable. We aim to confirm such updates when we feel there is actionable information that webmasters, content producers or others might take in relation to them. For example, when our "Speed Update" happened, we gave months of advanced notice and advice. Several times a year, we make significant, broad changes to our search algorithms and systems. We refer to these as "core updates. These core updates may also affect Google Discover.
Focus on content
Windows Server Standard Edition. Testing 1 of them. Done gathering initial info. Querying status of the Netcard drivers Passed Testing Domain membership Passed Gathering NetBT configuration information. Testing for autoconfiguration Passed Testing IP loopback ping
Results: Exact: 2. Elapsed time: 94 ms.